Our Dog's Panama Journey Part 4 - Panama City Arrival

We were seated in Economy Plus and I tried to listen for any dog barking.  Nada.  Maybe it was good that I couldn't hear anything and maybe they weren't barking.  I doubted that.  Bear makes her displeasure known.

Wheels down at 5:40P Panama time, 3 hours late!  I hoped Paola of Panama Pet Relocation Services would still be there waiting for us...and she was! With reinforcements. We found her before our luggage appeared and she was already with the dogs, having provided water and reassurances.   I was still in the secure area and could not get to the crates but I could hear Bear and Max barking..and it wasn't happy barking. 

I could not hear Tasha and that sent a stab of fear through me.  As a 15 1/2 year old dog with a heart condition and COPD I wasn't sure she should even go on this journey.  After consultations with her vet and a cardiologist, all were certain that Tasha would be just fine.  Tasha was the first question I had for Paola...and Tasha was OK.  The paperwork necessary to clear the dogs with customs was still with the airplane and it would be sent over shortly.

Once I was able to get close to the crates it was very clear that no comfort care was provided in Houston.  The crates smelled terrible and Bear in particularly wanted nothing more than to get out of that crate.  The food bags and leashes remained taped to the crates undisturbed.  United was going to get a large piece of my mind!

We found our baggage, hired 4 baggage handlers and they whisked us through customs with Paola in control and giving directions.   No questions asked, no baggage searches. 

Bryant and I were certain we would be detained and questioned about 9 trunks as baggage as we were arriving as tourists in Panama with the standard 90 day visa.  Why would a couple need sooo much baggage and bring their dogs for a 3 month stay? I had onward tickets to Bogota just in case we were questioned... and in hindsight maybe Bogota was NOT the best destination to select. More on that in a future blog about getting a long term visa and permanent residency in Panama.

We were loaded into Paola's personal car with her husband Jesus and our small baggage.  The dogs were loaded into a van with all of the other trunks and we left Tocumen airport.

I have already posted a recommendation for Paola and Panama Pet Relocation on their website.  It was also posted on my Facebook page.  I can't say enough good things about them and I strongly encourage anyone that will travel internationally with pets to use their services.  It just made the entire arrival so much easier and was an enormous help with guidance on preparing documentation adequately while were still in L.A.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Life in Boquete

Panama’s Pacific Coast; Onward to Boquete – Playa Morillo, Veraguas

Panama’s Pacific Coast; Onward to Boquete – Playa Corona